Investing in quality sleep and rest is one of the best things you can do for yourself. This includes scouring the market for high-quality bed mattresses that keep you cool and comfortable with a price tag that will not make you sweat! If you’re asking, “how much should I spend on a new mattress?” We’ve prepared a guide to help you choose the best mattresses in New Zealand that are well within your budget.
Factors to consider when buying a mattress
Before jumping into price points, you need to consider the following:
Level of comfort
One of the most important things to consider is the level of comfort or firmness you want for your mattress. This is a very subjective matter. While some want an extra firm mattress, others prefer soft or medium firmness. We suggest trying the mattress before making the purchase.
Are you a back sleeper? Side sleeper? Or a front sleeper? Whatever way you sleep, ensure your bed and mattress comfortably accommodate your preferred sleeping position. No one wants to wake up from a deep slumber with a stiff neck or a cramped leg.
Size variations for mattresses include King, Queen, Twin, and Super King beds. While different manufacturers make mattresses with a few millimetres difference, you need to review the measurements and compare them with your existing bed frame to avoid ill-fitted costly mistakes.
If you’re buying a mattress, you should know that a bed typically lasts around ten years at least. Ask questions regarding the warranty, including how long it is for and what it covers so that you can maximise your investment.
The question remains, what’s the price of a great night’s sleep? And how much should you spend on a new bed? While everyone has different budgets, here’s what you can expect for every price range.
Budget mattresses $100 - $200
- What to expect: Inexpensive, lightweight, easy to wash, comes in single and double sizes, excellent for occasional use.
- What to consider: Budget mattresses are not recommended for regular use as they’re made from cheap materials. They’re also unsuitable for overweight people or those suffering from back problems.
Soft to firm mattresses - $800 - $1000
- What to expect: Often made from hypoallergenic materials, soft to firm mattresses offer a durable design, are available in standard sizes, and are still relatively affordable for their quality.
- What to consider: These mattresses may offer less pressure relief compared to higher-end mattresses.
Extra firm mattresses - $2000 and up
- What to expect: Extra firm mattresses offer incredible structural support. Their extreme level of firmness and quality fabric design allows them to respond effectively to body weight, regulate temperatures as you sleep, and assist with moisture control.
- What to consider: It's the most expensive option.
How to choose the best one
The adage “you get what you pay for” holds true for beds. You need to remember—quality counts! You may think you're saving a few dollars for a cheap bed, but little do you know, you're paying much more for lost sleep. It’s best to invest in mattresses that offer the best value, not the lowest price.
Shop for the best value beds and mattresses at Bedpost
Buy the highest quality beds in NZ at prices you can afford. BedPost NZ has some of the best beds and mattresses available at the best prices, so you can easily get your money’s worth of quality sleep on a mattress that will last you the years. Make a healthy investment in your lifestyle and choose Bedpost NZ. Our friendly team can help you find the most suitable bed and mattress for your needs. Contact us today.