Bed care tips
Making your bed last
Looking after your bed will help extend its life and keep you sleeping well for years.
Choosing a quality bed to start with is obviously important, but so is the way you treat it. These sensible suggestions and simple guidelines from the wise folk at Bedpost will help you keep your bed at its best.
Basic bed care
- Avoid stains by using a washable mattress protector or wool underlay to help keep your bed clean.
- Rotate your mattress frequently – every two weeks in the first three months and then every two months after that. Body impressions are expected on a mattress and can appear more obvious on a new mattress as the comfort layers are ‘broken in’ and conform to your body. These body impressions can cause a mattress to appear slightly uneven, rest assured they are normal.
- Carry your mattress flat or on its side. Don’t let it bend or twist out of shape.
- If you replace the mattress on a spring bed, also replace the base. This ensures you and your new mattress get the support that’s made to match.
- Give your bed a regular airing, free of covers and mattress protectors.
- Fresh air is good but try and avoid exposure to direct sunlight
- Vacuum your mattress and base regularly using low suction for a dust and debris free sleep.
- Treat any spills and stains as soon as possible for the best results
- Don’t ever saturate fabric with water or cleaning liquid – it could soak in.
- Don’t use dishwashing or laundry detergent.
- Don’t scrub the fabric with a stiff brush.
- A little care and maintenance along the way will make sure your bed looks after you.