Happier, Healthier, Wealthier: Six Benefits Of Sleeping Naked
As summer slips into autumn and we face the long, dark and colder winter months, we tend to start hunting out our thicker pyjamas, onesies and nighties and reach for the heavier duvet and blanket.
But there are plenty of reasons why heading to bed in the nude is a better and healthier option.
1. You’ll be happier: According to a poll of 1000 people in the UK, 57% of those who sleep naked had happy relationships compared with 48% who wore pyjamas, 43% who wore nighties and 38% of those who wore onesies in bed.
2. You’ll be more (ahem) productive: Researchers at the National Institute of Child Health and Human Development and Stanford University say that men who sleep in boxer shorts or pyjamas (and presumably onesies) can damage the quality of their sperm and lower their chances of having children.
3. You’ll be healthier: Even though you’re trying to keep warmer, wearing nightclothes to bed can cause you to overheat, sweat and become prone to bacterial infections. Sleeping in a cool room without clothes also activates something called you parasympathetic nervous system which helps your body repair itself.
4. You’ll stay looking younger and burn more calories: One of the benefits of triggering your parasympathetic nervous system is that it lowers your stress hormones and prevents a nightly spike in insulin levels – and the major by-products of this is that your body burns fat rather than storing it and releases a human growth hormone which acts as an anti-ageing agent.
5. You’ll sleep better: By choosing a mattress and pillow which suits your sleep style, personal level of comfort and warmth, you’ll leave your body to regulate its own temperature. Wearing any form of clothing in bed can disrupt this process and prevent you getting s deeper, healthier sleep.
6. You’ll save money: Buying nightclothes, keeping them washed and throwing them in the drier a few times a week all adds up. You know how often you wash your bedclothes – why add to the pile?